Car accidents happen unexpectedly. It’s 7:30am and you’re driving your normal route to work. You stop at a red light a few blocks away from the office yet, the person behind you fails to do so. You’ve been rear-ended and are confused about what to do next. Luckily, the car accident attorneys at Nicoletti Law Firm can give some guidance. Here are 10 things you should do when you get into an accident.
1. Take a deep breath and relax. Accidents happen.
2. Check to make sure that you are okay and not severely injured.
3. Once you check to make sure you are not severely injured, check on others involved in the accident. If someone is injured, be sure not to give any medical aid unless properly trained.
4. Call 911 to report any serious injuries and/or damage to vehicles. Often, it is better to be safe than sorry. If someone looks hurt, it is better to call 911 to have emergency medical professionals come out and verify their health. Also, if they are available, it is crucial to have the police come out to document the accident.
5. Collect all contact information and insurance information from the other driver. Typically, if a police officer comes to the accident, the officer will take everyone’s information and will give each person involved an information exchange form. Make sure to keep track of that document.
6. Collect the contact information of any witnesses including names, phone numbers, and addresses.
7. When you get home, be sure to take pictures of any visible injuries such as bumps, bruises, scrapes, and cuts. Pictures are worth 1000 words and can further prove your injuries.
8. Write down exactly what happened during the accident. As time goes on, the memories of what happened can fade and small details can be forgotten. Details are very important.
9. If you feel any pain after the accident, go see a medical provider. Even if you do not feel pain immediately, it is best to see a qualified medical provider after the accident just to rule out any potential medical issues. Like in #3, it is better to be safe as your health is very important.
10. Contact a competent attorney. Often, the process can be not only stressful but also difficult when dealing with insurance companies, especially when you are trying to get better. Call an attorney that will do the heavy lifting with the insurance companies so all you have to worry about is becoming healthy once more.
Personal Injury Attorneys Here For You!
If you or someone you know has been involved in an accident, call the Personal Injury Attorneys of Nicoletti Law Firm immediately at (727) 845-5972. We will meet you at the scene of the accident at no cost as we offer a FREE no-obligation consultation. The insurance companies start working on your claim right away, why not have our firm do the same on your behalf. Let us fight for you so you can obtain the compensation that you deserve!