School Bus Safety Tips For Children & Commuters
It is that time of year again and school is back in session after the holiday break. Many children throughout the country depend on the bus to get them to their education destination. However, just because it is the second half of the year does not mean that children, as well as adult, do need a reminder when it comes to school bus safety. Here are some of the tips you should remind your children of when riding the school bus and some of the tips you should consider when sharing the road with a school bus:
School Bus Riders
- Wear your seatbelt. School buses have had seatbelts for decades. Make sure to instruct your child to buckle up.
- Do not run to the school bus. Children can often misstep and fall or may run in front of a car they do not notice. Instruct your child not run and to look both ways when crossing especially if they are not with you.
- Stand away from the street. Make sure that your children are standing away from the street. Distracted drivers are numerous in the morning. It is best that they stay out of the roadway in case someone swerves or does not see them.
- Do not rush getting on and off school bus. Instruct your child to take their time so they do not trip and fall or injure another child by pushing.
- Do not enter and exit the bus without direction from the bus driver. Be sure your children know to remain seated and to keep their seatbelt on until the school bus driver says otherwise. Buses make frequent stops and you do not want your child to fall and be injured because they were not properly seated.
Sharing The Road With A School Bus
- Watch for children crossing the street to get to the bus. Children often cross the street quickly and may not do it at the crosswalk. They all may not look both ways. Be the defensive driver and watch for children.
- Stay a safe distance and watch for the bus to stop frequently. Be sure not to tailgate any school buses and stay a safe distance away.
- Do not pass the bus when it has stopped, has its lights flashing, and/or has put its stop signs out. It is against the law to pass a school bus when it has its signals on. Do not try to rush around the bus at the last minute either as an accident can occur with another commuter.
- Watch for crossing guards and officers directing traffic. Keep an eye out for crossing guards at bus stops as well as police officers. Follow their direction and be especially cautious in school zones.
- Do not honk or drive aggressively. This is a general rule regardless of driving in the presence of a school bus. Young people are watching and will be sharing the roads with us soon enough. Show them a good example.
Let’s Work Together
Our children are our future and it is up to us to set a good example and to make sure they are safe. Be sure to remind your child often of school safety. In addition, make sure that you are traveling responsibly at all times but especially in the presence of a school bus. Let’s make our communities a safer and better place!
The attorneys of the Nicoletti Walker Accident Injury Lawyers handle a variety of personal injury matters including car accidents, motorcycle accident, truck accidents, and slip & falls. If you have been injured and are need of an experienced and qualified personal injury attorney, call the Personal Injury Attorneys the Nicoletti Walker Accident Injury Lawyers today. You can contact the Nicoletti Walker Accident Injury Lawyers anytime at (727) 845-5972 or you can fill out our Free Case Evaluation Form. Do not ever worry about having to travel to one of our offices, we are always willing to travel to wherever is convenient for you at no cost. Be safe everyone!